Sunday, June 7, 2020

National Cancer Survivors Day


I want to congratulate all my fellow cancer survivors. I a so glad that I live in a time that a cancer diagnosis is not a death sentence. Thank you  to all the doctors and researchers coming up with new treatments and cures all the time.
I was first diagnosed with a tumor in the middle lobe of my right lung in January of 2005. I had a PET scan on Thursday and I got a phone call from my doctor Friday afternoon saying he made an appointment for me with a thoracic surgeon for Tuesday because Monday was a holiday. Wasn't much longer until I had surgery to remove the lobe and the tumor. Turned out it was cancer but the surgery got everything and the lymph nodes were clear so the surgery cured me. I just needed 3 months to recover from the surgery.
Ten years later, in June, my doctor told me I was clear. No need for any more scans after this many years,"IT" wasn't coming back.  YAY, I had a party to celebrate but the celebration didn't last long as I was diagnosed with Uterine cancer in August.  I was told the cancer was in the early stages but I needed surgery again. I had a trip to Disney World planned so I put the surgery off until September. 
I took my trip to Florida and had a pretty good time but still had that diagnosis on my mind.
Well, I had the surgery, cancer was a little more advanced than first thought but once again the surgery got ALL the cancer and lymph nodes were all clear so again no need for chemo or radiation.
I consider myself one of the VERY lucky ones and I make sure that I enjoy everyday. Even these days of being home with the corona virus scare. Everyone should make the most of everyday!

Happy #NationalCancerSurvivorsDay 





No comments: