Wednesday, June 10, 2020

My Thoughts on Remote Learning



Here are my thoughts on remote Learning. I have both positive and negative points. Remember that these thoughts are from the point of view of this teacher.

Positive Points:

  • I love the short commute which means I can sleep in a little bit. I get up at 7:20 each morning instead of 5:30
  • I can go to the bathroom whenever I want. I don't have to wait until class ends and then worry about being late to my next class. This definitely helped me out with my kidney issues.
  • I didn't have to worry about what outfit I was going to wear for the day. Since none was going to see me I just threw on shorts and a t-shirt every day
  • I can eat lunch whenever I am hungry
  • There was senior car parade. That was so much fun. I hope that is one Corona virus tradition we keep.

Negative Points:
  • I didn't get to be with my students. I missed the everyday interaction so much
  • We didn't get to have the Mr. NHS show. I love this show and the boys worked so hard to put it together.
  • When a student wasn't doing work it was very difficult to motivate them via email
  • So much more work than if I was able to teach in my classroom. I spent more than double the time making videos to explain the lessons and then making creative activities and some ordinary worksheets for students to practice and then finding ways to make online assessments to be sure the students understand the work. And the countless emails to students and parents who weren't actively engaged in the remote learning.
  • This last negative point is the worst. There were NO sports. I LOVE going to the school sporting events. Thank goodness the stay at home orders didn't come until our boys basketball team finished their season. So sad that we missed Baseball, Softball, Boys volleyball, Tennis, lacrosse and spring track.
There are many other Negative points but I prefer not to dwell on too much negative.
Now we play the wait and see game as to whether or not we are in the classrooms in September. 
I think masks are going to be a problem. They are so HOT and fog up my glasses yet they are necessary to keep everyone healthy so I will always were mine.

Fingers crossed that a vaccine comes about sooner rather than later.

No comments: